Saturday 26 August 2017

Heart to Heart

Often, the first knowledge of having heart disease is the suffering of a heart attack.

People die of heart attacks.

People die from flu too but there are noticeable symptoms for a period before it gets this serious. If these symptoms persist, chances are we do something about it.

Equally, chances are there have been heart health related symptoms too, but these are often ignored or passed off as something else. Shortness of breath is blamed on poor fitness or excess weight; chest pains are excused as indigestion.

I am not claiming any medical knowledge as such and have no medical qualifications at all. I have experienced heart disease and undergone bypass surgery, quadruple bypass surgery. I was aged 49.

Fortunately, circumstances were such that I did not suffer a heart attack. I acted on symptoms before it came to this.

It is from this paradigm I urge the following actions:

  • Understand your family health history. If there is a history of heart disease, you may have a predication to this as well. I had such a history.
  • Know your cholesterol level and the ratios of good and bad cholesterol. I only discovered my levels after heart disease was suspected.
  • Be honest about your weight. Obesity can creep up on you. If you gain a kilogram a year, you are well overweight after 15 years and you don’t necessarily realise it.
  • If you decide to improve your fitness after a period of inactivity, first consult your Doctor.
A key learning of mine was:

Just because you are fit, doesn’t mean you are healthy, but you cannot be healthy if you are not fit.

I was active, playing hockey twice weekly, participating in week long cycling events and racing most weekends. I was riding most days and regularly running.

I justified enjoying chocolate, cheese, ice cream and coca cola as being ok because of the physical activity I was doing. I viewed this as one balancing out the other. But when your cholesterol is closer to 10 than it is to 5, your health is not good, even if your physical fitness is.

Heart disease is more often viewed as being a male dominant condition. Unfortunately, heart disease is a growing industry for females and a major factor in deaths.

Why am I writing about this today?

Drew Morphett has been a constant sports media personality throughout my life. A sports commentator who practiced clarity of speech, simplicity of phrase and the ability to connect with listeners and viewers alike. He was a window in to the summer world of cricket and the winter world of football. Come the Olympic games, he turned his ability to diving and cycling. He also covered hockey, lawn bowls and was a fine golf commentator.

Drew Morphett was watching the football on TV last night enjoying a glass of red wine. He was happy and content and looking forward to his commentary role over the coming days. In a week's time, he was heading to Amsterdam with his wife to enjoy a 19-day river cruise. He, his friends and family considered him to be in good health. He passed away before the game ended.

All I urge is that you better know your health so you can determine what decisions to make or equally, decide not to make any at all. But, just know.

Thanks for the memories Drew Morphett

No comments: