Saturday 29 July 2017

Credit Where Due

Credit where credit is due.

The Go Card Public Transport system in Brisbane seems to work really well, be it from my limited experience.

You purchase a Go Card, add money, tag on and off at the start and end of a trip and your fare is paid. It operates equally on Bus, Train and Ferry.

There are Go Card top up machines at every station and banks of them at entrances to the main stations such as Central and Roma Street. I am not sure about Ferry and Bus stops.

It is simple and seemingly effective.

The MYKI system in Victoria is not.

First of all, at the ground level of Southern Cross Station in Melbourne City (formerly Spencer Street Station) there was a single MYKI machine. I discovered there are more upstairs but it is not obvious going upstairs is the better thing to do.

I needed to check the balance on my 18-month-old MYKI Card. It had a balance of a couple of dollars so I sought to add funds. I selected MYKI Card, followed by Zone 2 as I knew I would be traveling in to that zone. I then selected $28.00 from the menu options.

My subsequent train trip was ok, I tagged on to gain entry to the platform and tagged off again at Mitcham.

Two days later (Friday), it worked perfectly again, in reverse.

Feeling confident, I presented for my return trip some hours later, tagged on to enter the platform and the gateway did not open. Trying several times, I bailed out as the feeling of impatience from the queue growing behind me was growing.

Back to my faithful machine and the balance showing was 40 cents.

All of a sudden train travel in Melbourne seemed very expensive.

Two queues later, I discovered I should have selected MYKI money (not Card) and by selecting Zone 2, my card would only work properly for travel within that zone.

But, the quality of service from the MYKI staff was exceptional. The guy in the ticket office was understanding, attentive and explained what had gone wrong. He also acknowledged how difficult it can be, especially for visitors.

The service centre he directed me two delivered another exceptional service experience. The lady again explained the issue, cancelled my old card, transferred credit left had I selected the correct options to a new card and then came out to the machine with me to ensure I understood what to do next time. It was a truly outstanding level of service.

Early that day I was in the queue waiting for the service centre of Births, Deaths and Marriages to open. I needed a new Birth Certificate.

I was dreading the pending wait and bureaucratic frustration that would surely follow.

I walked out 8 minutes later with a new birth certificate having been triaged in to the correct sector by a friendly and helpful gentleman and then attended to by an equally happy and attentive lady.

On two occasions, I received exceptional service from happy, enthusiastic and capable Public Service staff. In both cases I was dreading what I assumed would be frustrating and time-consuming experiences with inconclusive outcomes.

Well done Victoria, very impressive indeed. If only you can take over the Queensland Public Service, starting with the Transport Department.

No comments: