Monday 7 August 2017

Recruiting - What Value is the Reference?

What is the real value of a reference as part of the recruitment process?

I was left wondering this following an approach from a former colleague asking if they could list me as a referee for a role they have applied for.

My first issue with referees provided by a candidate is no one has ever provided a name for a reference they do not believe will speak about them in other than positive terms.

Secondly, my recent experience with reference checks coming to me is that the person asking the questions is working from a pro forma set of questions meaning there is no tailoring to the individual or the actual role being applied for.

In addition, many of the questions were benign or “leading questions” encouraging only a positive response.

My most recent employer had also adopted a pro forma reference question set.

So, is the mandatory reference check all too often a case of the “box being ticked”?

I happily agreed to the request to act as reference however I also pointed out why I may not be a great choice.

I explained that the role being applied for was with an employer I had once worked for and as such, I am not sure if my speaking on their behalf or even being mentioned as a referee would be viewed positively.

It was not as if I had left on bad terms however my departure had not been expected and it was made clear that they wanted me to stay. There was then some tension when I still elected to leave.

I outlined this so as to ensure the person seeking my reference was fully informed adding that I will fully understand, and will not be offended should they decide not to include me as a referee.

However, this raised another matter as to the value of a reference to the hiring employer.

It is arguably a little silly, if not immature that a reference from a known entity may be viewed as less credible or valuable than one from a complete stranger whose character and integrity is a complete mystery.

So, what is the real value of a reference as part of the recruitment process?

My conclusion is it depends entirely on the quality of and the tailoring of the questions being asked. Further, to obtain value, employers need to look at doing less “Box Ticking” and instead implement a more meaningful and tailored process.

And if using the professional services of a Recruitment Firm, seek details of their reference process as part of the engagement, take ownership of this rather than outsourcing what should be a most valuable and important part of the recruitment of excellent people.

No comments: