Wednesday 16 August 2017

Patience Before Judgement

We often click on a link with a variety of emotions or energy. Some positive, others not.

The title may excite us so the page is opened with much expectation of a satisfying and enjoyable reading experience.

Alternatively, the title of the link may infuriate us, or have us enter in to a feeling of negativity and a corresponding preparedness to be critical or judgemental.

It was with the energy of the second example that I clicked on a link that came across my LinkedIn feed a week or two ago.

The title of the article was the first thing that accelerated my heart rate. What was expressed is the exact opposite of what I believe.

Secondly, the writer was well known to me, having delivered her consulting services to my former employer over a period of about two years. Not only that, the results were comprehensive and positive.

What made it worse, was that only a week before I had written a testimonial for her business.

The article in question was written by Professional Certified Coach Kylie Denton and is titled:

                             Four tips to get more out of others"     

I find the concept of getting more out of others to be somewhat old fashioned, hailing from a time where the “boss told and the staff member responded” or else.

I jumped to images of a management style of red faced ranting and raving and one way communication.  

I believe the best way to achieve ongoing sustainable outcomes is to create an environment where individuals can work collaboratively and are supported to be the best they can be, exceeding the expectations they perceived for themselves.

I was also shocked because having worked with Kylie, my opinion is she is devoted to helping and supporting people to develop as they desire and to fully achieve their potential while being true to their individual desire for balance.

I performed the MacBook equivalent of ripping open the envelope and readied myself to be appalled by what I was about to read. I was also mentally drafting the e-mail I was to shortly send to Kylie, withdrawing my testimonial.

I speed read the article and realised my state of mind was such that I must have missed something. I read it a second time, feeling again I had missed something.

Kylie’s article proved to be positive and constructive as well as being informative and valuable. It was nothing like I expected from the heading; it was definitely in keeping with my experience working with her. My emotional build up had been wasted.

How often do we jump to conclusions before considering the facts?
How often do we do ourselves a dis-service by pre-judging a situation or circumstance?

How much better would we be if we eliminated this tendency from all we do, in our business, social, recreational and family lives?

Kylie, I apologise.

No comments: