Sunday 23 July 2017

Golf Lessons

I am wondering if Golf is a metaphor for how society is evolving.

Some 9 years ago, I suffered a cycling crash which left me unable to play for at least 6 months and probably longer. I advised the Club I had joined a few years earlier and arranged to be placed on their Membership Hold list for medical reasons.

At the time I joined the Club, I needed several references and had to endure an interview process. I then had to attend a ‘chat’ with a committee member and eventually after what seemed to be a significant process, I was granted membership.

With the prospect of having more spare time, a few weeks ago I made contact with the Club to enquire about my status. No problem they said and advised me of a period of membership credit still available to me. I asked if anything else was needed from me given the intervening 9 years and there wasn’t.

In further conversation, they suggested I bring a friend along and mentioned there is currently no joining fee, nomination process and everyone is welcome to join. Things had changed.

I mentioned this to a number of people and learned that Golf is very much a sport in decline and Clubs have all sorts of different member options available as they seek to attract and retain members.

The British Open is currently underway and several friends plan for weeks so they can watch it. At least one takes leave to ensure they see every shot. Many others follow the results closely and debate, and bet on the outcome. Another records each round and then watches it back during day, being careful to avoid first hearing about, or reading details of the day's play.

But no one I know who follows The Open is under 50 years of age.

It seems younger people are simply not attracted to Golf. It is too dull, takes too long and is played by stuffy people in stuffy Clubs. (Apparently)

Increasingly, we live in a world of instant gratification. A world where we want the outcome of our activities to reward us immediately. We play computer games, follow the shortest form of sports like cricket and all too often, business outcomes are measured by the latest share price rather than allowing the reward of long term strategic investment.

Our Politics is played out in 140 character tweets and a ravenous 24 hour news cycle where success is judged by the latest fortnightly opinion poll. Pursuing long term policy outcomes has a negative outcome.

Is it wrong?

No, it is just different.

It is also just a little sad that the character building traits of a round of golf, where the disappointment of a poorly executed shot can be redeemed by way of a great shot a few minutes later. And where the pressure of a one metre putt teaches concentration and focus and where the combined challenge of 18 holes over 4 or more hours comes together to provide a measurable outcome of personal endeavour that is the total responsibility of the individual.

It is probably too simple to say Golf is a metaphor for how society is evolving, but it does seem a little sad that a decreasing number of people are being introduced to a healthy, low physical stress activity that can be enjoyed well in to the later years.

Long Live Golf.

No comments: