Wednesday 3 May 2017

Darkness to Daylight - Domestic Violence Awareness

I have changed, checked and cross checked my gear and am about to leave the office and head to the Southbank Forecourt for the Darkness to Daylight event.

http://www.australiasceochallenge.org/events/darkness_to_daylight/

At 5.30 pm there will be a candle lighting vigil honouring the 110 people (on average) who lose their life each year to domestic violence incidents.

At the conclusion of the vigil, I join my team mates and at 6.30pm commence the 110 kilometre run to raise funds and awareness about Domestic and Family Violence.

I have no idea what lies ahead of me over the following 12 hours except that I will complete at least 30 kilometres on behalf of our team goal of 110 kilometres.

I have no idea how my body and mind will react to running multiple 10 k loops, some hours apart. I don’t know how my body will re-act to being asked to go for a run at 3 am tomorrow morning, a time when it is usually being rested.

Thankfully, I also have no idea what it must be like to live in a violent  family situation. I do know that any discomfort I am about to experience will pale in to absolute insignificance to what faces the victims of domestic violence.

Spare a thought for the fear, and for the courage of those that extricate themselves and their children from such situations.

If it gets tough tonight, it will be knowing any discomfort I am experiencing is nothing compared to the victims we are supporting.

No comments: