Wednesday 22 July 2020

A Sad Day - An Era That Changed Australia Concludes

It seems a little silly to be sad about the “passing” of an aircraft.

Today marks the final flight by a Qantas branded Boeing 747 aircraft.

For my generation, the Boeing 747 changed our lives. It’s capacity, operating efficiency and reliability reduced the cost of international air travel. Europe was 24 hours away and with a commitment to saving, affordable. Likewise, the United States.

For those just 10 years older, travel to Europe was most likely a sea journey of some weeks duration. Air travel being far too expensive.

Consider this, Qantas took delivery of its first Boeing 747 in 1971. Just 10 years prior, the Australian cricket team travelled to Britain by sea.

The world was changing and now we could more reasonably observe the change and participate in it too. The 747 literally helped educate, expand our imaginations and remove our sense of isolation. It literally changed Australian society.

My first flight on a 747 was from Melbourne to Christchurch in 1978. Back then, it would more likely have been referred to as a “Jumbo Jet”.

I was with a tour group of student teachers from Burwood Teachers College in Melbourne’s East earning my seat by way of my soon to be qualified then girlfriend.  

I have very fond memories of a wonderful 2 weeks touring the North and South Islands, wonderful sights and experiences and a little party time as well.

I have less wonderful memories of an evening in Christchurch immediately followed by a commitment to never drink Bundaberg Rum again. 42 years later, this commitment has never been further away from being broken.

I enjoyed further 747 travel experiences in the 4 decades that followed. Perhaps my most spectacular experience was the night approach too and landing at Hong Kong's Kai Tuk International Airport.
 
 
However 747 experiences were becoming rare as increasingly, it was a Boeing Aircraft with a different “7” prefix or a rival manufacturer with an “A” in its name that was taking me places.

My final 747 flight was Brisbane to New York via Las Angeles (and return) in 2015 where the prime objective was to run the New York City Marathon.

These New York and return flights were my first by 747 in perhaps 8 years. It might have been sheer coincidence that they were also the smoothest, most comfortable long-haul economy flights I can remember. I have never slept longer or more soundly in flight.
 
Such was the ease of these flight, I vowed I would return to America and New York in particular before the 747 was retired. Unfortunately, a certain virus has hasten the end of the Qantas 747 some 4 years before originally planned.

Today’s last flight left Sydney airport, circled Sydney looking one last time at the Harbour and its bridge, and at an opera house that was not completed when the first 747 touched down in Sydney.

I am not suggesting I shed a tear at the end of the Qantas 747 era, rather a nod of respect skywards.

To the Jumbo Jet, the Boeing 747, thank you for bringing the world closer and for helping make Australian Society more travelled and diverse. May this last aircraft rest in peace in the Mojave Desert, California having served us proudly.

No comments: