Monday 15 June 2020

Kneeling, TV Shows Past and Uncertanty

15 June 2020  1.34pm

Uncertainty abounds, or so it seems.

I felt conflicted today. Will I write a weekly update?

So much is uncertain and I felt I had nothing to add that would positively advance the many debates underway.

Anger and outrage dominate.

Do I discuss AFL and Rugby League players and officials uniting before a game to bend on one knee in support of indigenous and marginalised teammates? If I attempt to do so and take a balanced approach, I would fail. I could not find even a mildly alternative to this being a calm, considered, united and peaceful show of support that inconvenienced no one.

Is the counter argument that the action is “politicising sport”?

If this is credible, we would have to accept that sport no longer receives public funds to develop infrastructure because such funds are provided with a political intent. Be it a new stadium in Townsville, North Queensland or a new Grandstand in Geelong, Victoria, funds are provided with a political benefit in mind.

Surely it is all political or it is not political, we can’t pick and choose, logically at least?

And then there is Fawlty Towers.

My first reaction to withdrawing access to the “Don’t mention the war” Fawlty Tower episode was to question if we are going to far. Maybe I can write about that.

On reflection, my initial response lacked sufficient thought. While I am not yet supporting the episodes withdrawal, I do now see there is a legitimate debate to be had around this and similar matters.

I can jump to a conclusion based purely on my personal circumstances, experience and unconscious bias or I can consider and research if there is another view.

I have a much valued friend and former work colleague born to German Parents. He has German Christian and surnames. I need to talk to him to understand if the “war” episode of Fawlty Towers is offensive or was the reason for teasing, insult and mockery when growing up.

I have other friends and associates born in Germany. It is only fair that I talk to them before deciding a position.

And then there is the statue, building and street name and monument debate, but I am not going there today. Except for one example.

In Brisbane, there are several inner city main streets named Boundary Street. I recently discovered these were actual boundaries past which local indigenous Jagera and Turrbalpeople were unable to pass. The street are reminders of a forgone separist policy and I am reminded of this every time I cross or use Boundary Street in West End or Spring Hill.
 
I am inclined to think the history of these streets should  be taught widely including in tourism literature so we all know of this unfortunate time in our European history. Then again, I need to first discover what the decedent’s of the Jagera and Turrbal people feel about this before determining an informed and balanced view.

I revealed my conflicted state at the start of this post and it is now obvious I decided to write. It was being sent a "tweet" that motivated me in to action.
 
 
It is a most brilliantly written thread in that it literally cannot be argued against or disputed.

Here is the thread and in my opinion is a great reminder of a better way and well worth reading NB you don’t need to be a twitter user to read it.


I will conclude today with words from an American tennis icon and Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient Arthur Ashe writing about “change”

Most people resist change, even when it promises to be for the better. But change will come, and if you acknowledge this simple and indisputable fact of life, and understand that you must adjust to all change, then you will have a head start.

Stay positive, informed, considerate and safe.

Colin Morley

 

No comments: